This Page

has been moved to new address

adventures in weekending: the day before father's day

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
coffee, light & sweet: adventures in weekending: the day before father's day

Monday, June 18, 2012

adventures in weekending: the day before father's day



The Saturday before Father's Day, you can always find me out and about - somewhat frantically - trying to find a gift for my Dad. After Bob and I walked the High Line from 23rd St. to 14th, we headed to Bowery's Kitchen Supply at the Chelsea Market.




See, my Dad loves to cook. And he's really great at it. So a professional restaurant supply store seemed right up his alley. Surely there must be something he doesn't own already! How wrong I was. The entire store is his kitchen! I walked around with a pair of bamboo utensils used for salad tossing before I set them down and said to myself, a giant bamboo fork and spoon for Father's Day? Maybe not.

And so I headed out the market empty-handed. But not before stopping for Jacques Torres cookies. I needed that consolation.


Speaking of food (and since when am I not talking about food?), we had a terrific lunch at Pipa's. I've had a love affair with jamon Serrano, since I tried it at a Spanish restaurant some months ago. So imagine my delighted surprise when I learned Pipa's served it in a sandwich with melted Manchego, toasted crusty bread and honey aioli - done and done.

You need to go there. Now.








By the way, I ended up getting my Dad this. You just can't go wrong with some good cuts of meat.


Photobucket

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At June 18, 2012 at 9:36 AM , Blogger rooth said...

Oh, that ham sandwich does look good and better than anything I had in Spain. The sandwiches I had there were always incredibly dry!

I'm sure your dad will love that gift!

 
At June 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ooh, this post makes me miss NYC so badly! Everything looks so good, but my oh my what is that chocolate creation in the last pic?? YUM!

 
At June 18, 2012 at 6:31 PM , Blogger A Crimson Kiss said...

Dear God, that sandwich sounds (and looks!) heavenly! I've long since given up on Father's Day gifts–Christmas is hard enough!

 
At June 18, 2012 at 8:38 PM , Blogger colleen said...

oh man i hate to be the one to say this, but...they're closing pipa :( however they are opening up another tapas place in it's spot, but run by abc kitchen. let's hope they still have jamon serrano!

 
At June 18, 2012 at 8:54 PM , Blogger Jillian said...

LIES! Nooooo! Okay, so I'm bummed about this, but it seems likely that the new place will still have by beloved ham. They better. Or else!

 
At June 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM , Blogger Stephanie Shepherd said...

What kind of dessert is that? It's so pretty!

 
At June 18, 2012 at 8:57 PM , Blogger Jillian said...

I forgot what it was called, but it was really chocolatey and yummy! I know there was ganache involved, haha.

 
At June 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM , Blogger Jane said...

Sounds like you had a nice day out, looking for a gift. That sandwich and the dessert looks amazing (especially the dessert!).

 
At June 19, 2012 at 10:20 PM , Blogger colleen said...

haha - i knew you wouldn't like that comment! but you are right - they better have that ham. and if so that's definitely a step in the right direction!

 
At October 22, 2022 at 1:15 AM , Anonymous Hot Tub Repairs Riverview said...

God blless

 

Post a Comment

I truly appreciate and love reading your comments! And I always do my best to respond (so if you're not subscribed to the comment thread, check back if you feel so inclined).

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home