This Page

has been moved to new address

bargain hunter: diy makeup remover

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
coffee, light & sweet: bargain hunter: diy makeup remover

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

bargain hunter: diy makeup remover

anyone that wears eye makeup knows how hard it is to remove (especially mascara). i used to be the wash-and-go girl, but i've since started using drugstore makeup remover because all that vigorous rubbing isn't good for the sensitive eye area.

but i went through bottles like a maniac and that added up!  so i've been relying on some random multi-purpose household items to get the job done.  and, believe it or not, they actually work and i've come to find through much research that they're completely safe.


1. petroleum jelly (non-medicated). 



2. extra virgin olive oil + canola oil. combine equal parts of each in an empty bottle.  if no canola oil, using just olive oil is acceptable, too.



3. water, baby shampoo and baby oil. i use a little over a quarter of water, then the rest is equal parts shampoo and oil (in a clean, unused bottle).  there's no exact science so you can play around with the measurements.  if no shampoo, then mixing the water and oil is fine, too.  and always be sure to shake before use.


important note: i've tried all of the above solutions and each works effectively and gently.  with that being said, you should always spot test on an area of skin before you use any of these on your eyes.

my take: out of these 3, i prefer to use the last one because it doesn't leave behind a film.  also, i figure if it's safe and gentle enough to use on babies, then it's safe and gentle enough for me!  in a pinch, i'll use the olive oil on its own - it removes makeup very easily.


for some more diy solutions check out:
-makeup artist kandee johnson's tutorial combining olive oil and witch hazel.
-traclyn's non-comodegenic formula using aloe vera gel and petroleum jelly.

-jillian m.

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

At March 29, 2011 at 7:58 AM , Blogger Brittany H. said...

Wow! Thank you so much for this! I have friends that tell me that their mothers' use vaseline, and they have no wrinkles. I'm going to give it a try.

Have a great day!
X,
www.brittanyhavican.blogspot.com

 
At March 29, 2011 at 9:55 AM , Anonymous Gabriella {sensiblyluxe} said...

I'm a "Vaseline-in-a-pinch" kinda girl myself!

 
At March 29, 2011 at 4:59 PM , Blogger Aquí said...

Love this! Great ideas! Loving your blog! Follow each other? Let me know!

 
At March 29, 2011 at 5:48 PM , Blogger erica said...

I use petroleum jelly to take off my eye makeup all the time. Fab tips!

xo

 
At March 29, 2011 at 7:52 PM , Blogger Kaylia Payne said...

This is great post, I love your tips! I never ever thought of using anything like this, so thank you :)

 
At March 29, 2011 at 9:18 PM , Blogger Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

you are brilliant!

 
At March 29, 2011 at 11:23 PM , Blogger A Crimson Kiss said...

I used to keep a GIANT jar of vaseline in my makeup tool kit for shows-takes off absolutely anything!

 
At March 30, 2011 at 5:21 AM , Blogger Linda [the young curator] said...

!!! what a great idea!

glad to hear they're safe for sensitive skin, too. my skin is very temperamental. i'll have to try these suggestions out!

 
At March 30, 2011 at 7:17 AM , Blogger rebecca said...

i had no idea. now i'm picturing myself with greasy eyeballs. can't beat the moisturizer in these natural products too. thanks jillian.

 
At March 30, 2011 at 8:02 AM , Blogger Pau Villafuerte said...

Hi there! Thank you for the helpful tip! Very nice blog you have here! Following you now :) Could you follow me as well? It'd be really cool of you if you do, I'd appreciate it! :)

<3
http://pau-v.blogspot.com

 
At March 30, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Blogger Jillian said...

glad i could be of help to some of you. and vaseline seems to be a pretty popular tip!

 
At March 30, 2011 at 9:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great beauty post! I live by vaseline. My lips dry out quickly so I use it to moisturize my lips and to remove eye make up.

 
At March 30, 2011 at 10:33 AM , Anonymous Design Elements said...

wonderful post! lovely greetings

 
At March 30, 2011 at 10:33 AM , Anonymous Design Elements said...

wonderful post! lovely greetings

 
At March 30, 2011 at 4:16 PM , Blogger Meri said...

I don't wear makeup almost ever, so when I do I always have to scrub and scrub to get it off since I don't own the remover. Now I suppose I have some of these things on hand to use- definitely the petroleum jelly.
Great ideas!
Meri
merigoesround.blogspot.com

 
At March 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM , Blogger the southern hostess said...

Awesome tips! Thanks for sharing!

 
At March 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM , Blogger little luxury list said...

Thanks for the list -I had no idea olive oil was a great makeup remover!
Isn't the Alexander McQueen skull and butterflies ring so awesome!?

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

 
At March 30, 2011 at 10:53 PM , Blogger Alena: Oh, Its Just Perfect! said...

This is great!! I'm always looking for new things to try - my current eye makeup remover isn't doing a very good job. Can't wait to try with stuff around the house!

 
At March 31, 2011 at 11:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my gawsh this is brilliant!!!- find your blog from the darling aqui. so happy to meet you!

thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

I truly appreciate and love reading your comments! And I always do my best to respond (so if you're not subscribed to the comment thread, check back if you feel so inclined).

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home