This Page

has been moved to new address

french toast in the afternoon

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
coffee, light & sweet: french toast in the afternoon

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

french toast in the afternoon


sooo...

i've never made french toast before (not counting a few days ago, which was the first).  it was always one of those foods that i'd rather have made for me at a breakfast or brunch spot.  and honestly, they probably make it better than i ever could anyway.

but when the craving for french toast set in and my laziness (and unwilligness to spend money) handicapped me from actually going anywhere, i realized i needed to make it myself.

this wasn't based on any particular recipe.  i kind of just asked my mom how she made her french toast and she gave me the basics.  i spiced it up a little to my liking.

french toast
1 egg
2 slices of white bread
2 tablespoons of coconut milk
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
butter (for greasing)
maple syrup (optional, but most definitely recommended)


beat the egg in a bowl.  then, beat in coconut milk, vanilla and cinnamon until mixed.  melt the butter in a nonstick pan over the stove set to medium heat.  dip the bread in the mixture (a few seconds on each side).  place bread on pan and cook until browned to your liking (personally, i like it more on the brown side for crispiness).  once done, you can sprinkle more cinnamon and pour maple syrup.


the last bite is the best.  you get to sop up all the leftover syrup.


but i'm sure YOU already know how to make french toast.  everyone has their own variation.  so, tell me...how do you make yours?

-jillian m.

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

At March 23, 2011 at 8:55 AM , Blogger rebecca said...

i'm with you. i've made french toast only once. it splatters everywhere and it's such a pain to clean up.

 
At March 23, 2011 at 11:48 AM , Blogger Brittany H. said...

I sometimes use eggnog and put nutmeg on top around Christmas. But my favorite thing to do is use day-old French bread. Oh my goodness... it's so good.

Have a lovely day!
Muah!
www.brittanyhavican.blogspot.com

 
At March 23, 2011 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Jillian said...

oh, what a great tip! i'll have to try that.

 
At March 23, 2011 at 12:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

as much as i love it, i've never made it at home. funny, i know. it's always one of the first things i order at any breakfast or brunch place as well! looks like i'll have to try this recipe. one of my fave restaurants in dallas serves french toast with a light crust of granola on it so maybe i'll try to add that in?

 
At March 23, 2011 at 1:08 PM , Blogger Felicia said...

oh my goodness, yum! your version sounds delicious.

i've been craving egg-y toast lately. not really a french toast, but essentially a piece of crusty bread dipped in a beaten egg and pan fried. so good with a little jam on top!

 
At March 23, 2011 at 4:23 PM , Blogger Sonia said...

french toast is my comfort food!

In Pursuit of Style

 
At March 23, 2011 at 8:03 PM , Blogger A Crimson Kiss said...

Mmm, I've never thought of coconut milk in the batter before-DELICIOUS! I usually use a special bread-brioche, an herb for a little sweet/savory play-when I make french toast!

 
At March 23, 2011 at 8:19 PM , Blogger kitten roar said...

i am obsessed with french toast. i just had it for dinner last night, too :)

 
At March 23, 2011 at 11:29 PM , Blogger little luxury list said...

Ooh love the twist with coconut milk (will have to try it soon!)

Great taste in picking out the suitcase chair - it's a unique statement piece for sure.

I have a giveaway now for a reader to win anything (apparel, jewelry) from J.E.M. Apparel - enter if you'd like!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

 
At March 24, 2011 at 10:06 AM , Blogger Katherine said...

I love breakfast foods at any time of the day :) Your french toast looks delicious. Just found your blog and am your newest follower <3 If you have a chance pls check out mine :)

www.featherfactor.com

 
At March 24, 2011 at 10:09 AM , Anonymous Isabel said...

My french toast always comes out a little soggy. Maybe it's the bread I use. I'm interested in finding a better recipe! The addition of coconut milk sounds quite interesting...giving me ideas! Thanks!

 
At March 24, 2011 at 3:04 PM , Blogger Joyti said...

Yum!
I make mine using brioche, with orange zest, milk, eggs, sea salt, honey, cinnamon, black pepper, and a splash of Grand Marnier (if I have some). And serve with strawberries.

 
At March 24, 2011 at 6:24 PM , Blogger Kaylia Payne said...

Yumm, it looks so good! I have never made french toast before either. I really like the idea of using coconut milk!
And we don't have the same gloria jeans drinks here, ours aren't nearly as delicious sounding!

 
At March 24, 2011 at 11:24 PM , Anonymous Gabriella {sensiblyluxe} said...

Oh YUM. I've never actually made French toast and am so tempted to remedy that RIGHT NOW at 8:24 in the evening. If it weren't raining outside, I would make a quick grocery run in my jammies!

 
At March 25, 2011 at 12:29 AM , Blogger Caroline said...

MMMMM my favorite meal!! My dad would make me French Toast growing up. And I can still hear him yelling for us kids to come downstairs because breakfast was ready.

 
At March 25, 2011 at 12:31 AM , Blogger Heart Charlie said...

Ooooh Yum!! I love mine with strawberries and raspberries ;)

 
At March 25, 2011 at 7:57 AM , Blogger Jillian said...

wow...these are some yummy ideas!

 
At March 26, 2011 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Janey R. said...

i hardly ever make french toast either.. but the coconut milk addition sounds so yummy. I might have to try that. :)

 
At March 27, 2011 at 6:41 PM , Blogger Aquí said...

French toast sounds soo good! Lovely blog btw :)

 

Post a Comment

I truly appreciate and love reading your comments! And I always do my best to respond (so if you're not subscribed to the comment thread, check back if you feel so inclined).

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home