This Page

has been moved to new address

triple berry sauce

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
coffee, light & sweet: triple berry sauce

Thursday, August 4, 2011

triple berry sauce


I don't think it's any secret that I am a dessert lover. And after pacing myself with sweets for so long now, this week I've fallen back on old habits. Aside from the pastries and cakes-galore last weekend, there have been many "incidents" this week involving cheesecake, whoopee pies from the Sweetery truck and cannolis covered in powdered sugar and chocolate chips. I know, I know...I'm a beast.

Starting now, I'm back on track (plus, all those desserts are now long gone so I have no choice). In order to satiate this monstrous sweet tooth of mine, I need to disguise healthy foods creatively enough in dessert form so that my taste buds can be tricked into thinking they're tasting something decadent.

And in comes the triple berry sauce adapted from Healthy Food For Living. I love this food blog because the recipes are uncomplicated with very wholesome and few ingredients, but they look and sound amazingly delicious. As much as I love gorgeous blogs like Cannelle et Vanille, those recipes can be a little over my head. And a master chef, I am not.


 
 Triple Berry Sauce (adapted and tweaked from Healthy Food For Living)


1 cup blackberries
1 cup raspberries

1 cup strawberries, hulled (I halved them though it's not necessary)
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons of raw/turbinado sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch powder

Combine the berries, maple syrup, lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan set over medium heat. 

Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook until the berries break down and release their juices, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add in the cornstarch and cook, stirring slowly but constantly, until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
Serve and store the rest in a jar.


I poured the dessert sauce over Greek yogurt, but you can also use it as a topper for ice cream, pancakes and oatmeal (or take straight spoonfuls from the jar). Whichever way you enjoy it, I can guarantee it will feel like happiness dancing on your tongue. I LOVED it. The perfect summer dessert I have found.

-jillian m.

Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

At August 4, 2011 at 8:39 AM , Blogger hellotampon said...

mmm... I have a major sweet tooth too and this sounds really good- and easy.

 
At August 4, 2011 at 8:40 AM , Blogger rebecca said...

i made something like this earlier this summer, though it didn't turn out quite as well. we ended up just eating it with a spoon instead.

 
At August 4, 2011 at 9:18 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

i love non-fussy recipes that are still delish too. will take a look at that blog.

this looks good, but still has lots of sugar.... s'pose one could cut that right back.

 
At August 4, 2011 at 9:27 AM , Blogger Jillian said...

Absolutely, Monica. I think it would do well with just the maple syrup, depending on your tastes. You can keep tasting while it cooks so it'll be simple to figure out how sweet you prefer it.

 
At August 4, 2011 at 9:44 AM , Anonymous classiq said...

I don't necessarily have a sweet tooth, but there are two desserts I can't resist: icecream, especially in the summer, and home-made jam with crepes or yogurt. And you're right, this is a healthy dessert. It looks delicious! :)
Ada

 
At August 4, 2011 at 10:01 AM , Blogger Emily {Isnt That Charming} said...

This sounds absolutely delicious! I'll definitely be giving it a try. So happy I came across your blog! :)

 
At August 4, 2011 at 10:05 AM , Blogger colleen said...

this looks such a good addition to greek yogurt, which sometimes i find hard to stomach.

 
At August 4, 2011 at 10:19 AM , Blogger bananas. said...

i'm actually not a big dessert person but that triple berry sauce sounds devine! and oh so fresh!!

also greek yogurt is the bomb.

 
At August 4, 2011 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Ana Degenaar said...

Holy! I need some of this proto!

 
At August 4, 2011 at 10:56 AM , Blogger Sam W. said...

mmm, love! my sweet tooth has been pretty uncontrollable recently. too much chocolate!!

 
At August 4, 2011 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Lilacandgrey said...

oh wow!

 
At August 4, 2011 at 2:31 PM , Blogger yours truly, melissa said...

that sounds delicious! i love me some sweet berries

 
At August 4, 2011 at 2:47 PM , Blogger sherri lynn said...

This looks delicious. I love how vibrant the color of it is, too!

 
At August 4, 2011 at 4:06 PM , Blogger Punctuation Mark said...

im on my way to the supermarket to get this sauce going here!

 
At August 4, 2011 at 4:39 PM , Blogger Eleanor at Mirror Of My World said...

yey for berries and happiness dancing on your tongue. sounds delicious x

 
At August 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM , Anonymous kankana said...

I like making something very similar but i usually add red wine vinegar too :)

 
At August 4, 2011 at 5:49 PM , Anonymous Erin Lian said...

Mmm this sounds such a good sweet tooth fixer :)
<3

 
At August 4, 2011 at 8:02 PM , Blogger A Crimson Kiss said...

This looks wildly, unnaturally delicious-WOW!

 
At August 4, 2011 at 11:59 PM , Blogger Karla Khodanian said...

Oh my goodness, I must try this! I'm such a berry lover. And I love that you put it on greek yogurt (a much healthier option than the ice cream I probably would have put it on). Thank you for sharing! :)

 
At August 5, 2011 at 1:49 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ohhhh! Im such a dessert lover too! Thanks for the recipe! I just bought raz and straw berries too! PERFECT

 
At August 5, 2011 at 1:41 PM , Anonymous emily said...

santo dios!! that is gorgeous. it's so funny too because i saw the first picture of the sauce jar & thought, hey that'd be cool over greek yogurt, then lo and behold that's exactly what you did!!

good call :]

 
At August 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Caroline said...

It looks absolutely delicious!!

 
At August 11, 2011 at 9:10 PM , Blogger alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

Wow - this looks amazing. The berries are so pretty!

 

Post a Comment

I truly appreciate and love reading your comments! And I always do my best to respond (so if you're not subscribed to the comment thread, check back if you feel so inclined).

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home