This Page

has been moved to new address

adventures in weekending: the cook(ie)-off

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
coffee, light & sweet: adventures in weekending: the cook(ie)-off

Monday, November 7, 2011

adventures in weekending: the cook(ie)-off


Recently, I'd come across articles regarding where to find the best cookies in NYC. And the two places that were most often mentioned were Jacques Torres Chocolate and Levain Bakery. I've tried Levain's monstrous cookies several times before and have practically fell over from sheer delight. But I was intrigued by the comparisons. Could Jacques Torres' cookies be better? Last weekend, I went on a quest to find out.

Contestant 1: Torres' Chocolate Chip Cookie. No small chips here, only long pieces of quality disk-like chocolate chunks made exclusively for Torres. Chewy texture with a very buttery dough. Perfect for one hungry cookie fiend.


And contestant 2: Levain's Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie. Giant and over-sized. Crisp edges with a warm, almost-doughy inside. Can be shared, but why would you want to?

As I had expected, Levain's remained closest to my heart. Torres's cookies were absolutely amazing in that there was an abundance of delicious chocolate in every chewy bite. But there's something about the soft, slightly under-baked, ooey-gooeyness of the inside of a Levain cookie that makes my knees weak. And in this case, size does matter.

Bottom line: Torres is for the cookie traditionalist, while Levain is for the type of person who likes to eat the cookie dough before it's put into the oven (and has no regard for calorie intake). Enough said.


However, let me just say this: finding the best cookie is like finding the best slice of pizza in NYC (or anywhere). There is no be-all and end-all. It lies in tastes. Some people like gigantic cookies with rich, soft interiors. Others prefer their cookies flat and crisp. Or chewy. Or slightly burnt. Or with nuts. How do you like yours?


Are you craving cookies now? Here are some tried and true chocolate chip recipes from around the web:


  • Best Chocolate Chip Cookies from AllRecipes (more than 3,300 people from around the web have tried and reviewed this recipe, which averages 4.5 out of 5 stars)

    -jillian m.

    Labels: , , , ,

    23 Comments:

    At November 7, 2011 at 9:32 AM , Blogger sherri lynn said...

    I love chocolate chip cookies! Some days I want the traditional, but others I want something different and a little more exciting. Basically I would take either of these cookies and gobble them up fast! What a fun idea to try both of them and compare :)

     
    At November 7, 2011 at 10:43 AM , Blogger Chelle Lynn said...

    You are so right! So much in find the "best" of anything is left to taste. However, I do find that SAYING I'm on the hunt for the best pizza in Dallas is a good excuse to eat all the pizza I can get my hands on. :)

     
    At November 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    a worthy quest! lol

    mine would be torres, given the chance. i like my cookies to be cookies, not cake.

     
    At November 7, 2011 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Ashley said...

    I'm all about soft centers...slightly under-baked all the way!!!

    OHHHH YEAHHHH :)

     
    At November 7, 2011 at 12:55 PM , Blogger Gloria said...

    I need to make a trip to Levain's and try this cookie STAT!

     
    At November 7, 2011 at 1:10 PM , Blogger Lisa Lisa Lisa said...

    Mmmmmm cookies! I LOVE cookies. This sounds like a fun activity. If there were more bakeries around here, I'd suggest it for a girls night.

     
    At November 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM , Blogger Jillian said...

    Gloria, you seriously need to! And then let me know what you think!

     
    At November 7, 2011 at 1:56 PM , Blogger Ashley said...

    I'm seriously craving cookies now! These would be perfect warmed up!

     
    At November 7, 2011 at 5:15 PM , Blogger Alena: Oh, Its Just Perfect! said...

    a cookie off is the best idea ever!! i need to wait until after my new year's vacation though :) hope you had a wonderful weekend!

     
    At November 7, 2011 at 7:03 PM , Blogger colleen said...

    i need to get my butt up to levain. those cookies definitely sound like they are more my speed. and that pictures looks amazing!

     
    At November 7, 2011 at 7:48 PM , Blogger Punctuation Mark said...

    never been there but it's going on my to go list... they look soooooo good!

     
    At November 7, 2011 at 8:35 PM , Blogger Kyla said...

    Oh, this post is just delicious! Too bad I'm hardly ever in NYC to visit these places :/ Thanks for the recipe though! Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite.

     
    At November 7, 2011 at 8:57 PM , Blogger A Crimson Kiss said...

    I actually use the Jacques Torres recipe-it's my favorite cookie!

     
    At November 7, 2011 at 11:33 PM , Blogger Jane said...

    Okay, these look like amazing cookies. My favourite is the big fat chewy chocolate chip kind.

     
    At November 7, 2011 at 11:39 PM , Blogger yours truly, melissa said...

    Yes, definitely craving chocolate chip cookies now! They're only the best kind of cookies.

     
    At November 7, 2011 at 11:44 PM , Blogger Nikki said...

    That's a great idea for an afternoon! I'm going to have to save this one for the right girlfriend ;)

     
    At November 8, 2011 at 5:48 AM , Anonymous Erin Lian said...

    My mouth is watering! <3

     
    At November 8, 2011 at 6:54 AM , Blogger Erica M. said...

    I am kinda upset I read this.. now I want to go to NYC & find those cookies. I am a huge chocoaholic. These look awesome!

     
    At November 8, 2011 at 6:57 AM , Blogger thobeka said...

    Oh heavenly yumminess!!

     
    At November 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM , Blogger Nat said...

    Those cookies look delicious! Reason #99995673888888 to go to NY and soon :-)

     
    At November 9, 2011 at 8:44 AM , Anonymous Jamillah said...

    bhahahahaha, i have jacques torres' recipe pinned too.

     
    At November 9, 2011 at 1:19 PM , Anonymous kristina@beancakes ★ said...

    oh my goodness ~ bring on the sweet tooth once again!! ;)
    xx ~ ks

     
    At November 10, 2011 at 8:46 AM , Blogger Samantha (everythingiheart.blogspot.com) said...

    Oooooh my WORD!! Those cookies look too delicious for words!!
    Thank you for the recipes! Need. to. make. them. NOW! ;)
    x S

     

    Post a Comment

    I truly appreciate and love reading your comments! And I always do my best to respond (so if you're not subscribed to the comment thread, check back if you feel so inclined).

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home