This Page

has been moved to new address

how to safely sanitize your wooden cutting board

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
coffee, light & sweet: how to safely sanitize your wooden cutting board

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

how to safely sanitize your wooden cutting board


Cutting boards are a breeding ground for bacteria, so regularly sanitizing them is a good idea. There are a few techniques you can try, but I find this way to be the quickest, cheapest and most fuss-free:

1. Immediately after using, scrape and rinse food particles off the board.

2. Wash using hot water and dishwashing soap (Some claim that regular dish soap affects the board's longevity. I haven't had any problems with it. However, you can try this natural option, if you wish)

3. Allow to dry.

4. Spray or use a clean towel to wipe the board with white vinegar (White vinegar has natural disinfecting properties and is effective at ridding odors)

5. Allow to dry.

6. For boards that are used for meats, take the extra precaution by spraying or using a clean towel to wipe the board with hydrogen peroxide.

7. Allow to dry and store in a cool, dry place.



Other tips:

-Lightly coat your board with food-grade mineral oil to protect against dryness from constant washing, which can result in cracks and splits. The mineral oil also helps to seal out moisture. Do this about 1-3 times a month.

-You can also use lemons to get rid of odors. What I'll do is take half of a used lemon (the juices have been squeezed out already, since I don't like to waste a whole half lemon for such small jobs), add a few drops of water to the pulp to loosen up the juices and then give the board a good rub down.

-Never leave your board submerged in water. Excessive moisture weakens wood.



Info sources:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/CuttingBoards/AllAbout.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_board#Wood
http://www.vinegartips.com/scripts/pageViewSec.asp?id=7

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At February 8, 2012 at 7:29 AM , Blogger onesixthreechirp said...

Thanks for sharing! :)

 
At February 8, 2012 at 8:18 AM , Blogger Kyla said...

These are great tips! I'm going to have to try the lemon trick :)

 
At February 8, 2012 at 8:29 AM , Blogger colleen said...

vinegar is the best way to disinfect anything ever. i'm obviously passionate about it.

 
At February 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM , Blogger Justine said...

Thanks for sharing the awesome tips!

 
At February 8, 2012 at 3:04 PM , Blogger Ashley said...

You are like the blog martha stewart.

ha :)

 
At February 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM , Blogger sherri lynn said...

These are such helpful tips! I have a wooden cutting board I've not even used yet because I don't know how to clean it/take care of it... so thanks for sharing!

 
At February 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Aquí said...

This is a wonderful post! I have a few wooden cutting boards that need sanitizing!

 
At February 8, 2012 at 8:17 PM , Blogger Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} said...

Thanks for sharing! I never know what to do with the board since you aren't really supposed to wash it, but you put things all over it too that could be a breading ground for bacteria. Glad you posted this!

 
At February 8, 2012 at 9:15 PM , Blogger Elle Sees said...

um, had no idea i was supposed to do this. i always just washed it well! thanks!

 
At February 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM , Blogger A Crimson Kiss said...

To a good cutting board, and the right treatment of it! John is obsessive about his mineral oil!

 
At February 8, 2012 at 11:25 PM , Blogger Emily said...

wow! love these tips! thanks

 
At February 9, 2012 at 8:35 AM , Blogger Lindsay said...

This post could not have come at a better time! I'm going to do sanitize my board this weekend!

 
At February 9, 2012 at 4:41 PM , Blogger Alena: Oh, Its Just Perfect! said...

Such a great post at the perfect time! We have a wooden cutting board that we hardly ever use because I'm not quite sure how to keep it sanitzied. Thanks for the tip!

 

Post a Comment

I truly appreciate and love reading your comments! And I always do my best to respond (so if you're not subscribed to the comment thread, check back if you feel so inclined).

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home