This Page

has been moved to new address

refreshing limeade

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
coffee, light & sweet: refreshing limeade

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

refreshing limeade

What do you do when you see a sale for seven limes for only $1?

I’ll tell you what I do.

I buy the limes.

I make limeade.


Limeade (adapted from Simply Recipes)
makes about 1 quart


5-7 limes
Grated zest of 1 lime (about 1 tbsp)
3/4 to 1 cup of sugar
3 cups of water


In a small saucepan bring to a boil the sugar, one cup of water, and the lime zest. 
Once the sugar is dissolved (which it should be by the time the water boils), remove from heat and let cool for for a few minutes. The amount of sugar is a guideline, it depends on how sweet you like your limeade and how tart your particular limes are.
Place a strainer over a bowl and pour the sugar syrup through it, straining out the lime zest. 

Add the lime juice and 2 cups of water. Taste for sour/sweet balance. If too sweet, add a little more lime juice.
Chill, or serve immediately over ice.


It might be a little early for this cool, satisfying summer drink, but I always get a little ahead of myself once that warm weather hits. Kind of like those people who, at the first sign of spring, break out the shorts and flip-flops – on a 55 degrees (F) day. You know who you are.

Photobucket

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At March 20, 2012 at 7:39 AM , Anonymous Meghan @ Wishful Thinking said...

I’ve been fighting off a rather irritating cold and I think this might just be the remedy for me!

 
At March 20, 2012 at 7:42 AM , Blogger colleen said...

ahhhhh yes i love. but you forgot the gin...

 
At March 20, 2012 at 7:51 AM , Blogger Jillian said...

Funny you say that! I was totally going to spice this up until I thought, "You know, I'm always referencing alcohol and drinking...maybe I should ease up on that!".

 
At March 20, 2012 at 8:32 AM , Blogger Kyla said...

Mmmm, limeade is my favorite summer drink...I'm definitely wishing I was sitting at the beach with a limeade right now!

 
At March 20, 2012 at 9:17 AM , Blogger SreeBindu said...

it's darn hot over here. Would take one :D

 
At March 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM , Blogger Aquí said...

oh it looks so good, especially in those cute jars!

 
At March 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome recipe, looks so delicious! I'll have to give it a go

x

 
At March 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

yuuuum, my mouth is watering. love limes.
you know, i've never boiled it. is that simply to make the sugar dissolve better?

 
At March 20, 2012 at 10:58 AM , Blogger Jillian said...

You got it. Especially if you're using turbinado sugar, which doesn't dissolve well in cold water at all.

 
At March 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM , Blogger Justine said...

yummy!

 
At March 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM , Blogger A Crimson Kiss said...

I've never been one to turn down a limeade–I make mine with a little agave, but turbinado sugar sounds divine!

 
At March 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM , Blogger sherri lynn said...

This sounds so refreshing! it may only be the first day of spring, but it's been in the 80s for the past week here! I am definitely in the mood for some fresh lemonade or limeade!

 
At March 21, 2012 at 7:41 AM , Blogger erleichda said...

never too early for refreshing summer drinks either ; )

 
At March 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM , Blogger Ashley said...

My coworker just gave me, like, 25 limes...so how uncanny that you've posted this! Looks like I'm making some limeade.

 
At March 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM , Blogger rebecca said...

I always end up with the limes that have 1 drop of juice.

 
At March 21, 2012 at 11:36 PM , Blogger Ronnie said...

Never thought to make limenade! I like the idea.... we always end up with more lime than we use.
Ronnie xo

 

Post a Comment

I truly appreciate and love reading your comments! And I always do my best to respond (so if you're not subscribed to the comment thread, check back if you feel so inclined).

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home