This Page

has been moved to new address

apartment herb gardening

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
coffee, light & sweet: apartment herb gardening

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

apartment herb gardening


The taste of fresh herbs, in some cases, is far superior to dried so I often find myself buying bunches of them at the market.  Which is why, at a recent trip to Union Square’s Greenmarket, I picked up some potted parsley, chives and rosemary – three herbs I use often in cooking.


These beauties have survived the first few days at the apartment, in spite of the absent sun and my lack of gardening know-how. So a big ‘hooray!’ is in order.

(Hooray!)

I’ve been doing some heavy googling over here, but surprisingly enough, I haven’t found much information on indoor herb care. So right now, it’s just allowing them to get as much sun as possible, watering a few times a week and an occasional snipping of dried-out ends. But if there’s anything else you think I should be doing or if you know links to helpful sources, feel free to post those down in the comments. Help me keep them alive!

Photobucket

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At April 25, 2012 at 7:55 AM , Blogger Mary said...

I don't understand a lot of "herb care" but I think water and sun will be enough at first...

 
At April 25, 2012 at 8:24 AM , Blogger rooth said...

They look really healthy - do let us know if you're able to find some more herb tips

 
At April 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM , Blogger yours truly, melissa said...

Hooray for your potted herb garden! I love having fresh herbs at home. I'm no expert, but water & sun!

 
At April 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM , Blogger Kendra said...

I can't wait for our Farmer's Markets to open so we can indulge in some herbs as well. Last year I grew rosemary and basil indoors and didn't do any more than you: water and offer plenty of sunshine. They look lovely!

 
At April 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM , Blogger LeeLee said...

Ohh, apartment gardening. This is something I am looking into trying.

 
At April 25, 2012 at 4:01 PM , Blogger A Crimson Kiss said...

There's nothing better than fresh herbs–John and I were talking about this just last night, but I have such a black thumb I don't think even John's superior gardening skills could keep them alive!

 
At April 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM , Blogger david smith said...

Those are adorable! I love fresh herbs and we've been planning an indoor garden for a while now...can't wait until Farmer's market season, where we can get some great plants!

 
At April 26, 2012 at 6:09 AM , Anonymous Meghan @ Wishful Thinking said...

I’ve never had success with herbs indoors (or plants in general for that matter) but I recently planted some mint and rosemary in our tiny little garden and they seem to be doing well. I just top them up with plant food once a week which I think helps?

 
At April 26, 2012 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Shoko said...

I was just talking about this with a friend - I would love to have some indoor herbs to use for cooking. Yours are so cute :)

 
At April 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM , Blogger Ronnie said...

That's a really lovely idea - and they look beautiful too.
I would love to get something like this for our kitchen, just need to find the right one and work out where to put it.
Keep us updated on how your indoor herb care goes!
Ronnie xo

 
At April 27, 2012 at 3:44 PM , Blogger Caroline said...

We just started an herb garden on our patio ... I love the smell of fresh herbs!! Enjoy your weekend ... bisous.

 
At May 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM , Anonymous Jamillah said...

Oh I have a link for you!!! I have also been researching herb gardening indoors! I think I might even get a grow light even though I might be judged by my neighbors, lol.

http://mommypoppins.com/newyorkcitykids/apartment-garden-how-to-grow-an-indoor-herb-or-vegetable-garden-with-grow-lights

 
At May 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM , Anonymous Johnny said...

These look great, it fits in so well with your room! Each plant is grown so well, you did a great job with the gardening for it

 

Post a Comment

I truly appreciate and love reading your comments! And I always do my best to respond (so if you're not subscribed to the comment thread, check back if you feel so inclined).

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home